Universal Electronics announced that it has been selected to develop advanced remote controls for new Denon receivers and home entertainment systems to be distributed in the United States, Europe and Asia in early 2007. The new remote control solution will utilize a new innovative design with a built-in monochrome display and the Zigbee open standard for two-way wireless communication.
With its award-winning industrial design team, UEI will produce an advanced control platform in collaboration with Denon which offers users an intuitive way to control Denon’s A/V receivers with unparalleled performance, customization and an ergonomic design.
A key feature of the two-way communication technology in these new remotes will be the ability for users to remotely view metadata information transmitted from Denon receivers. This enabling technology will allow song titles, artists and station information to be browsed on the LCD screen of the remote control from anywhere in the home within range of the A/V receiver’s RF signal.
The Denon remote will incorporate many of UEI’s patented features such as built-in IR learning, user-defined activity and favorite channel macros, a PC editor and new advanced features such as:
* Universal A/V control of over 40 unique consumer electronics device types
* Quick set-up of universal modes via ID search
* Customizable LCD screen
* EL backlight of display and hard keys
* On-device editing of LCD text
* 2.4GHz RF mesh network capability for transferring metadata
* Support for Japanese and European fonts
* Support for multi-zone A/V access and control
* ZigBee RF receiver with built-in IR blasting for non line-of-sight A/V control
“UEI’s unique innovations will allow our customers to enter a new era of interactive remote control technology,” said Hirofumi Ichikawa, president, Denon Brand Company. “Denon continues to work together with UEI for new ideas and technologies to help empower our customers with remote technology that can be paired with our advanced receiver lines.”